The warning signs of blocked drains are something that we all are aware of. In most instances, drain blockages are never a sudden occurrence. They take place because we tend to neglect the signs such as slow draining kitchen and bathroom sinks, shower drains etc. We at Sydney Blocked Drains know precisely how troublesome it can be the deal with blocked drains.
Here are 10 useful tips to clear drains:
- Use a bent wire hanger- This may seem like a very simple step, but it is quite useful in many cases. Get hold of a regular wire hanger and then straighten it out as much as possible, creating a small hook at one end. Push it through the affected
drain and start fishing to remove the debris and gunk in it.
- Vinegar and baking soda- This is a simple solution that is very effective in clearing clogged drains. Mix equal amounts of vinegar and baking soda, pour it into the clogged drain and flush it with hot water.
- Wet and dry Vacuum- If you can get hold of a dry and wet shop vacuum, it becomes an excellent tool for unclogging drains.
- Pour boiling water- Boil up a large kettle or vessel of water and pour it into the drain in three stages. Allow a few seconds to pass between each pour. This is typically the quickest and most straightforward way to unclog drains.
- Use caustic soda- Use proper eye and hand protection while trying this method. Mix three cups of caustic soda into half a bucket of water, stir and pour into the drain. Allow it to sit for about half an hour and then flush it down with boiling water.
- Clean the pipe- You would need a few simple plumbing tools to remove the trap under the sink in your kitchen or bathroom. Use the wire coat Hanger to flush out all the gunk that may be lodged there. Pour some water into the trap and clean it thoroughly before putting it back into position.
- Use a drain snake- This is another effective way to get rid of blockages in drains. You can get a drain snake at a hardware store and use it to clear the drain pipe
- Baking soda and salt- Mix half a cup of baking soda in an equal amount of salt and pour it into the blocked drain. After 20 minutes pour some boiling water down into it.
- Dish detergent – This is another way to clean greasy residue inside drain pipes. Pour a concentrated solution of dish detergent and water into the clogged drain and follow it up with hot water.
- Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Gravity- If your bathtub is clogged, you can use the baking soda and vinegar mixture mentioned above, place the stopper on the drain and fill up the tub. Leave it that way for or about one hour, remove the stopper- the force of the water caused by gravity can help drain the residue in the pipe.
For information about our blocked drain services, you can speak with our experts on 1300 403 201 or send us your queries and requests via this online form, and we will revert shortly.